The (P)sychoanalytic (P)sychosis (P)ertaining to (P)sycho

"Psychoanalytically, though, Psycho is less a story of the disintegration of a personality than one of a massive attempt by the psyche to reseal itself; and, of course, it could be said that in this sense it depicts a successful strategy of the unconscious." - David Punter

Today I read an article titled "Robert Bloch's Psycho: Some Pathological Contexts" by David Punter and wow!  What an incredible analysis to detail and mentality.  It truly does help you see the novel/book from an entirely different perspective, and also clears up a lot about our dear Norman Bates.

Without going into an enormous amount of details and speculations, I (for once) wanted to only point out a couple of things in the article that I found really interesting.  If you want the full effect of it though, I highly recommend reading the article.

First off, I found it interesting that Norman takes on the feminine contours of a woman to feel loved and hide his true feelings.  I mean I think we all were surprised to find Norman dressed in drag at the end with a knife in his hand...so what gives?  Punter says that Norman had a fragmented view of himself and of society and that to him the clothing, the perfume, the persona etc. was all a way to mask it from his adult side.  He viewed people as fragmented as well, and thus when he peeped in on Mary and saw her breasts, he essentially was set off by the turmoil of his angry, not-much-of-a-nurturer mother, and thus had to deal with his anger through the murder of Mary.  Interesting take if I do say so myself.  Clearly I'm no psychologist so I would go back to the article for the full effect, but this is what it seemed to mean to me.

Secondly, I liked his analysis on Norman's collecting habit: firewood, books, pornography, etc.  By collecting these materials, Punter thinks that he was thus trying to collect himself....you know, bring himself completely together.

Finally, I think it is interesting to Norman women are not longer real people--rather just objects  that can be disposed of and replaced quite easily.  We also see this in Sam, who clearly confuses Lilia for Mary when he kisses her in his shop.  The whole situation is really creepy to me because it shows us that to Norman, death really isn't that final of a thing--he'll just dig you up when he is over it, and go about life like it never happened.  I would be very curious to see what feminist writers would have to say about this!
lightpost.gif