EL 312: Aesthetics

I will admit that there are times when I don't understand what something means. There is one word that I have been seeing a lot of lately. If you couldn't already tell, it's Aesthetics. When I don't know something I like to find out as much as I can, whether it's took look in a book or online, I try to find my answers. I never knew that there are two important things about aesthetics. One is that on a philosophical approcah, it poses questions relating to the nature or definition of beauty. The other is that one a psychological side, it examins the perception, origins, and the effects of beauty.
Now that I know what this word really means, I can have a better understanding of what I read.

Denamarie said:

I also chose this term.
I think it is interesting that with this one form of criticism that you can get so much out of the text.
I think that it beneficial because it really allows for the critic to delve into the reading.

Literary aesthetics shows the deep structures of reading and receiving literary works. These effects may be grouped by their types of writing and the relationship that the reader assumes with time.

I think that this form of criticism would be great to use for Shakespeare and other profound authors.

Dave Moio said:

When I first read the definition for aesthetics, I thought, "how silly to write a poem whose sole purpose is to explor the beauty of nature or the arts." Then I remembered that Andrew Marvell is one of my favorite poets and he is a consummate aestheticist (even thought the term succeeded him.)