« Semi-Comprehendable | Main | Mystery Endings... »

My Little ADD Brother --> !!!!

"In the family of punctuation, where the full stop is daddy and the comma is mummy, and the semicolon quietly practises the piano with crossed hands, the exclamation mark is the big attention-deficit brother who get over-excited and breaks things and laughs too loudly" (Truss 138).

When i read this, I couldn't go on, I had to blog about it. Technically this theory of personifying punctuation is correct. I mean afterall, you typically think of the dad as the stubborn, rule-abiding man, the comma is the mom, who still holds authority but in a much gentler manner, and the semi-colon who I'm sorry to say just exists and is too afraid to rebel, and then the exclamation mark is aka me as a small child...and now. I know this quote has more significance other than to make you laugh, but when you think about how punctuation can relate to a typical family or reality for that matter, it makes it all the more entertaining.
When reading closely, one can typically pick out exclamation marks and make that phrase within their head boisterous or crazy or in higher tone, just because of that little attention-deficit brother (aka exclamation mark). Wow, punctuation really makes you think about how you read sentences now that you can personify them and pretend they are like real people.

How strange, but I love it.

EXCLAMATION

Chelsea loves "her little brother" a little too much as well.

http://blogs.setonhill.edu/mt/mt_tb-awoisdlkfj.cgi/13465

I loved this quote! I mean, seriously how funny is it! It’s the perfect way to depict the family of grammar. I liked how you went further in depth with Truss’s original quote because it really put things into perspective for me. I mean the semicolon really is the awkward mark left in the dust that no one seems to care about, but the exclamation point is one mark that everyone is familiar with and that no one could possibly forget it! I thought that this was also a clever way to show people about what marks are used most commonly. It makes me realize that I need to get my act together and start learning this rules so I can use all of them equally.