Close Reading of “Bernice Bobs Her Hair” by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bernice was described as “dull” (Fitzgerald 7) and a “poor conversationalist” (Fitzgerald 2). Bernice, on the other hand, is actually very much concerned about being kind and traditional: “‘Don’t you think common kindness—-‘ ‘Oh, please don’t quote `Little Women’!’ cried Marjorie impatiently. ‘That’s out of style'” (Fitzgerald 4). Majorie decides to help Bernice turn in to a girl like her, who is not concerned about “sensible things” (Fitzgerald 5). This “help” ultimately leads to her own downfall; the girl that she created may be more like her, but it’s not for the better. Majorie tore Bernice down when she said, “‘No; for instance, you never take care of your eyebrows. They’re black and lustrous, but by leaving them straggly they’re a blemish'” (Fitzgerald 5). She continued to tear her down by forcing her to bob her hair, and completely ruin it, in front of all of her “friends” at the barber shop (Fitzgerald 9). She felt that she had been made a “fool” (Fitzgerald 11). It would have been in Majorie’s best interest to keep her help to herself, and then she would still have her hair. Turning Bernice into someone who acts just like her cost Majorie her beautiful hair.

7 thoughts on “Close Reading of “Bernice Bobs Her Hair” by F. Scott Fitzgerald”

1. I just want to mention I am all new to blogging and site-building and really enjoyed your web-site. Most likely I’m want to bookmark your website . You definitely have impressive writings. With thanks for revealing your webpage.

2. Hello! Someone in my Facebook group shared this site with us so I came to take a look. I’m definitely loving the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Exceptional blog and terrific design and style.

3. Thanks for your suggestions. One thing I’ve noticed is banks as well as financial institutions know the spending routines of consumers while also understand that a lot of people max outside their real credit cards around the vacations. They correctly take advantage of that fact and begin flooding a person’s inbox along with snail-mail box using hundreds of Zero APR card offers just after the holiday season concludes. Knowing that if you’re like 98 of the American community, you’ll hop at the one opportunity to consolidate financial debt and switch balances to 0 apr interest rates credit cards.

4. I’m very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best doc.

5. Along with the whole thing which seems to be developing inside this particular subject matter, all your opinions are generally relatively radical. Having said that, I am sorry, because I do not subscribe to your whole strategy, all be it radical none the less. It looks to us that your commentary are generally not completely validated and in fact you are generally yourself not fully certain of your argument. In any event I did enjoy reading through it.