Sorry, Wrong Number

In Sorry, Wrong Number I noticed this passage: “It’s not OK for journalists to be bad at math” first, this headline grabs attention and I think this is good because it makes readers feel some type of emotion towards the topic, causing them to want to look more into the situation without even beginning the article, with just reading below the headline they’re able to be drawn in by something. The five reasons listed for numerical mistakes in the article made me immediately think, the reports who made those mistakes didn’t verify or duck! They didn’t double check their numbers, a thing I like to think is necessary in any scenario to succeed.
“First, journalists need to acquire the basic math skills needed to properly handle numbers and figures. Second, they need to develop the habit of double-checking every number and figure. (I’d call this the mantra of “Math twice, publish once, but I don’t want to sacrifice language at the altar of arithmetic.)” I like this quote, when reading it I thought, doing math problems, I always second guess myself on my answers, but, if I verify I’m right by double-checking the situations answers, I’ll be better off. It’s an important skill. 

“We’re not a fancy retweeting service for companies and governments—our role is to verify information.” I like the idea of “Math twice, publish once”. Double checking, I think it always comes back to that. “Yet nearly all of them were afraid of taking the test, and most expected to do horribly.” I think the reason we’re so afraid to take math by the ears is because we’ve convinced ourselves it’s an evil thing that’ll make us weak, but in reality it’s all around us. We should embrace it, learn to understand it so we get better with our knowledge related to it, at least in my opinion, what’s yours?

Source: Sorry, Wrong Number