Uncategorized

Rhinoceros in Love (Part 1/3)

In Rhinoceros in Love (Part 1/3) I noticed this passage: “Malu: That’s right! People have standards for testing eyes and ears, and if they fail them, they think that they’re disabled, which influences their work, whether they go to university, even their attitude about life. There are many colourful terms to describe disabilities of the eyes and ears: blind, deaf, colour blind, but there’s no such term for a disabled nose. A stuffed nose only describes the symptom of a cold, which can be easily cured with some Sudafed. A competent, outstanding nose has never received any attention.”

I think that this passage is significant because it is a snapshot of our culture. I don’t know if it will be significant for the rest of the play, but I found this description to be interesting so early.

Source: Rhinoceros in Love (Part 1/3)

4 replies on “Rhinoceros in Love (Part 1/3)”

Brian,
I have always hated my nose and have always been the kind of person to notice other people’s noses before anyone else. Therefore, after reading this passage I found myself thinking about how often the nose is only judged by whether or not it is beautiful, but never for its capacity of smell things and remembering what they smell.

Brian,
This is a great passage to bring up for discussion. Often times our society judges the physical aspects of someone or something, but does not get to know the capacity that it has. I also find it interesting that this was placed in the beginning of the play.

I didn’t really find it playing much of a role in the show, but one significance I could think of why the playwright would include it would be to highlight a special quality about Malu. Mingming says he has no important qualities about him (can’t speak English, use a computer…. those things) so I think the special nose was to give him something. Nothing too impressive, but enough to give him definition as a character.

I find it interesting to look back on this post having read the whole play. I think this quote stood out to a lot of people when reading the first part of this play. It comments on societal beauty standards which I think it something everyone relates to or is at least aware of. Even though this quote didn’t play a big part in the upcoming scenes, I saw several blog posts using it as an example.