Uncategorized

Elements of Journalism – Chapters 9 and 10

Chapter 9 of Elements of Journalism by Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel covers the ways in which journalists must make the news comprehensive and proportional for their readers. It also describes the benefits and drawbacks of journalism being centralized online in every aspect. This is now even more true due to the pandemic, because most journalists have begun to work almost entirely virtually. It’s interesting that this book seems to foreshadow was has completely taken place this year.

Chapter 10 covers the fact that journalists must use their conscience when reporting. This something that I was confused about at first, because I know that journalists are supposed to keep themselves out of reporting. However, after I finished the chapter, it made complete sense. Journalists need to use their best judgement when writing stories, but they must keep their bias out of it. This is something that seems difficult, but I will work toward achieving it in this class.

2 replies on “Elements of Journalism – Chapters 9 and 10”

I liked that you admitted you were confused by something. I too was unsure of how journalists are supposed to use their conscience while remaining unbiased.

Brian, I didn’t even realize that the coronavirus pandemic made news even more digital- I was just thinking about how this book was updated in 2011 and that the 2016 election and presidential use of Twitter made the biggest impact. But you’re right, there has been an even bigger jump into online journalism this year- I might have missed that because I’ve only ever read the news online, and am away from home where my parents read print, but thank you for illuminating that to me!