Gilman, “The Yellow Wallpaper”

The main idea of this story seems to be that the narrator’s isolation is overtaking her mind; isolation causes insanity. Her husband, John, does not allow her to write, which is a way for someone to release their feelings. She says “But I MUST say what I feel and think in some way – it is such a relief!”. She is striving for some sense of freedom but she cannot find it. In my sociology class, we read that confinement and no socialization can stunt your growth. This seems to be happening with the narrator. Also, John denies her when she asks for people to visit and this might show that, with the narrator being a woman, the purpose is woman during this time were denied simple rights and were undermined by men, in this case, John is doing the undermining. The fact that John is a doctor shows that rationality and sensibility has escaped the story.

via Gilman, “The Yellow Wallpaper”.

One thought on “Gilman, “The Yellow Wallpaper””

1. I thought of the isolation of something that we put on ourselves in life as well, yes she was trapped but I believe when she was going crazy it was done to herself. She choose to focus on the wallpaper and to focus on it as much as she did.