The Show Must Go On – News Feature Follow-Up Story

The Show Must Go On

On the opening night of “She Kills Monsters,” a play produced by the Theatre Department of Seton Hill University (SHU), tickets were completely sold out. Director Steve Wilson sat in the audience during the second showing last Saturday night.

Wilson said, “The play came along quite nicely. I am happy with the way it turned out.”

Layne Bailey, who plays Agnes Evans, a Dungeons and Dragons gamer, said, “I absolutely love being a part of this production. It has everything I could possibly hope for: drama, foul language, adventure, sarcasm, epic monster battles, friendship, strength, courage, love and most important, fun.”

“Tonight went very smoothly with hardly any hiccups! We continue to work off each other very well, despite the fact that I have never worked with most of these people before and we have only been rehearsing since February,” said Katelynn Reist, who plays the deceased younger sister, Tilly Evans.

“We, as a cast, have connected so quickly within the short rehearsal time, and I think it really showed on stage tonight and last night,” according to Bailey.

Unlike Friday, Saturday’s audience did not fill all the seats in the theatre but it did not cause the cast to falter.

“No matter the size of the audience, the play is still intimate between the cast and its audience. Plus, with the seats surrounding most of the stage, there is nowhere to hide. It’s a challenge being so close to your audience because you have to stay focused; otherwise, they notice when you stray off,” said Elena Falgione, who plays Tilly’s girlfriend, Lilith, in the Dungeons and Dragons game.

Some people found the play to be too much when it came to exploring sexuality.

“When I had to kiss Tilly, I noticed that a couple got up and left. Our director asked them what happened, but they refused to comment. We could tell they had a problem with the lesbian relationship between Lilith and Tilly,” said Falgione.

Reist said, “You have to keep acting despite what the audience might do. It’s part of the job.”

Not only was sexuality examined in the play but so was comedy. The audience, who was mostly around twenty years or older, received the jokes of the play with laughter. The foul language and sexual puns were intended for an older audience.

Bailey said, “I cannot help but laugh at the content of the play sometimes. This show has been an absolute joy to be a part of and I am going to miss it very much.”

“In regards to the laughter, we never expect a laugh. We like to hear laughs from the audience but reactions in general are more of a reward. We want to earn it,” said Falgione.

Even after only two shows, the production is receiving a good vibe that is sweeping across the SHU campus.

Kayla DiPaolo, a criminal justice major at SHU, said, “I had no interest in seeing the play because I never heard or read it before, but my friends told me that it is laugh-out-loud funny. So, I decided to get tickets for next weekend.”

The play has received positive reviews overall and the cast only wants to keep that momentum going.

Bailey said, “As the shows continue, it seems that we only get better.”

“As much as I have enjoyed myself during this play and enjoyed working with the cast, my purpose is to make the audience think. As an actor, making the audience react and think fulfills our purpose as artists, and so far, we have done just that,” said Falgione.