Jason Pugh

PughJason Pugh majored in English literature and earned an education degree at Seton Hill University, and now works as a corporate applications instructor at New Horizons Computer Learning Centers of Pittsburgh. While English isn’t directly related to his current job, it has provided a strong foundation for his talents.

“One of the things that English program has helped me with is being able to really analyze everything. So when you’re working on things, you’re really predicting what’s going to happen next, how you think that’s going to happen next,” said Pugh. “It taught me a lot about analysis and being able to prepare myself to prove justifications. We had all different type of literature classes where you had to defend what your reasoning was for performing these, in the business sense you have to have that same skill.”

Pugh teaches business skills, which involves email etiquette. “A lot of people entering the job force are finding they can’t really construct a complete correct sentence, and that doesn’t look good to employers,” said Pugh. “I do a lot of hiring myself now, and when someone sends me an email in advance, if it looks like garbage to me I kind of bypass it. It’s critical as far as looking for jobs to know how to construct sentences properly and avoid that sort of slang terminology in your writing.”

Currently pursuing a doctorate in Instructional Management and Leadership at Robert Morris University, Pugh hopes to become a university professor of education. In this field, English is critical. “As an English major, you’re really taught to do in-depth research a lot. And I think because of the research capability it comes a bit more naturally to me in this field. So I feel like it really puts me a little ahead of the game,” said Pugh.

For the 2013-2014 instructional year, Pugh received the Worldwide Excellence Training Award for having the number one instructor average in North America and the number two instructor average in the world for Application Instructor Evaluation Scores. This honor was proved to the top 1 percent out of 2,500 application instructors.