Two Useful Handouts

Show don’t tell…a hard concept to grasp, even though I have tried writing with the “show” concept in mind many times. The hardest thing to do is to know when to tell and when to show and what tips to follow for which story or essay. I find creating the plot first helps me, then creating characters and then trying to open the story with a “POW” and close it with an “Ah.” It also helps to have others read my work. I know I am the queen of run-on sentences, they run here and there and everywhere. So, a fresh pair of eyes is definitely a necessity for my writing. I usually go back to these two particular links when I have to write a paper. It isn’t easy but like a pixy stick induced child, I grab what I need and run with it. I always find that when writing a story adding conflict is my favorite part sometimes I need help and one time ran across what is the paraphrase tool for thesis? and it so helped to clear my thoughts, I always think of  what  Vonnegut said, “Act like a Sadist, no matter how sweet or innocent your lead characters are, make terrible things happen to them.” I never realized that setting also made such a difference in a story. If we think of movies, what would The hangover have been like in Kentucky? Probably still funny, but somehow being in a foreign country or in Vegas, changes the dynamics of the story. I also always thought of setting as a place. I realize now, that setting can be a season or even a time of day. If you break down the components in a story like setting, plot, characters, theme, conflict, and reconfigure a small aspect of each, you can really change the emotion the reader takes away with them. So I say be bold, try new things, but follow these two handouts for suggestions and keep writing, until your fingers bleed, just kidding. What do you think is the most useful part of the “show don’t tell” handout ?

via Two Useful Handouts.

Posted by jenniferclark   @   19 December 2013

Like this post? Share it!

RSS Digg Twitter StumbleUpon Delicious Technorati Facebook

Dec 19, 2013
11:21 pm
#1 ericaalcibiade :

You make a very important point that having other read your work is a very important and useful tactic. I too, benefit greatly from having other read my work. However, from experience, I am always very reluctant to allow others to read my creative works. I always fear that they might think I am crazy or question why I have written the way I did. I am a child at heart and sometimes it shows in my imagination. Thus, I enjoy your “pixie stick induced child” analogy, because I am also, at times, a pixie stick induced child.

Dec 20, 2013
12:50 am
#2 jenniferclark :

Erica,

Don’t be so worried, the only way to rise higher is to fall. In writing some people may like it, some may not, use what you can, improve when and where you can and take criticism with a grain of salt. I tend to write like I speak, with no filter and it works for me. Sometimes, I get the technical criticism of what are you doing? “Watch your grammar,” yada, yada, yada…, but I carry on and continue to try to improve. Just remember if someone does read your work and say, “OMG” the chick is crazy,(which I highly doubt will happen) isn’t that better than hearing nothing at all? Think about pop stars, or boy bands, even bad press is good. So, decide what your strengths are and stand behind them. p.s. I am a total child at heart,my kitchen is full of Hello Kitty, so no worries.

Dec 19, 2013
11:36 pm
#3 Olivia Goudy: Jedi Knight :

It’s always a delight to read your posts–they’re so entertaining. And i love the parallel you drew from Vonnegut’s literary style and quote. It’ll be handy to have these handouts to refer to as we continue the course. Like a pixie-induced child, I’m going to go pop some more sugar now.

Dec 19, 2013
11:37 pm
#4 Olivia Goudy: Jedi Knight :

It’s always a delight to read your posts–they’re so entertaining. And i love the parallel you drew from Vonnegut’s literary style and quote. It’ll be handy to have these handouts to refer to as we continue the course. Like a pixy-stick-induced child, I’m going to go pop some more sugar now.

Dec 20, 2013
12:34 am
#5 jenniferclark :

Olivia,
Glad you enjoy my insanity, lol. I just hate being vanilla, so I got to spice it up a bit and add some interest to my blog posts. Feel free to comment anytime and I will do the same for your blog. p.s. Wish I had some pixy/pixie sticks now, my eyes are fading fast.