NR&W 9

In chapter 9 of the assigned reading I made a realization. I never really got into Twitter and in my last few journalism classes I made an account for school only. I was completely thrown off when I read the line, “Twitter’s limitation on the length of tweets neatly reflects the goal of the traditional inverted pyramid lead: Report the most important news succinctly.” (Page 167) Oh hey, that’s completely true. I never thought about it like that before.

This chapter was a good refresher on the inverted pyramid. It is important to use this when writing because most readers do not want to read the entire article, but get the most needed facts. The book goes on to explain that the inverted pyramid has its faults because of letting readers have what they want right away. I don’t see too much of a problem with that though. If I had to pick between a reader who only reads the first few lines or a reader who doesn’t read it at all because they can’t find the most important part that is hidden in the rest of the article, I would pick the one who read the most.

I thought that the explanation and examples for explaining how to put “who,” “what,” “when,” where,” “why” and “how” into the lead sentence was helpful. It was probably the section that helped me the most in the chapter and I will be focusing on that to help me start my articles.

The different styles of leads were interesting as well. I had no idea there were so many ways of starting an article. Same goes for the type of structure a writer can use.

There was so much information in this one chapter that was helpful to me this time around. At first I thought I would be reading what I was already taught but there is more to the inverted pyramid than I previously imagined.

Source: NR