Portfolio 4

Where did the time go? Honestly! At the beginning of the semester, I remember thinking “Portfolios? That’s going to be terrible! How am I supposed to get all of my stuff together like that! I don’t know how to do hyperlinks! I can barely use this site!” However, after my first portfolio, I realized how simple the site truly is, and how keeping up with blogposts isn’t hard as long as you check the website daily. I think that the blog posts and portfolios are a great tool for students because they can allow us to check our progress, instead of having professors do it for us! Self evaluation is difficult, but an important and useful tool if you can master it. The Portfolios helped me to realize areas that I need to work harder in, and ones that I’m doing well in, so that I can congratulate myself as well as discipline myself. Below are my final blog posts (though we only had a few this quarter) and they reflect my final days in SEL 227.

Depth: This area will highlight portions of my work that display a deep understanding of the subject, and scholarly inquiries that provoke further thought. 

Depth is an area that I’m relatively strong in, because I love taking the time to look deeply into subjects and find what kind of thoughts and revelations I can come across while I write about them. This semester, I liked working heavily with a lot of my blogposts, especially with my bonus ones, but this time, I’m going to include assigned blogposts, to demonstrate my ability to understand the course material and class readings. I demonstrated depth when I talked about the Moore allegations, observing the two reporters and their techniques that made their interviewees feel comfortable. I also went in depth when talking about the 5 mistakes journalisms make with math.

Riskiness: This portion will contain examples of when I worked outside my comfort zone in areas I would not normally explore.

Riskiness is a cool category and it is one that I kept in mind when I was making my blogposts. “Is this too safe? Am I challenging myself in this situation and growing as a writer?” Growing as  a writer is something that I’m always trying to do, and just being in this class is a risk for me, because I have no experience in AP style or journalism at all (except for a few film reviews I did for The Odyssey, but I think that website is extremely problematic.) However, I think I was risky in talking about the Moore allegations because I strayed away from the assigned topic and decided to write about the interview with O’keefe, because I thought that was extremely newsworthy. In a post I wrote about “fake news” I felt a certain amount of risk because of the topic at hand. “Fake News” is everywhere and something that I’m not as well versed in as I would like, but I took the risk in exploring, and was open to being wrong about something.

Discussion:This section will highlight times that I have responded to other classmates writing in engaging conversation.

Discussion is an odd topic. I think that if I were able to get push notifications on my phone (like I have for twitter) I’d be extremely successful in this area. However, I’m not on my blog as often as is necessary to have length discussions. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t discuss. Megan and I were both impressed by the Pearls Before Breakfast article, because we had both read the article before, showing how famous it was and how the journalists writing was able to elevate him to a place where his work would be viral. On an older post, Chris recently commented and we discussed the art of writing, and why you should not rely on technique alone!

Intertextuality: This section will showcase instances when I connected texts throughout the course to a similar idea.

My intertextuallity was a bit lacking this semester, however I think that I was able to pull it off. Intertexuallity is a great topic because its a way to demonstrate how well you are understanding the texts, and if they are paying off. If you’re truly learning something, you’ll be able to apply it in a practical sense. In a way, intertexuallity is like learning to fractions, and then having to bake, using the fractions and other tools for ingredient measurements. I connected journalism’s writing form not just to this class, but to all my classes in a piece I wrote about how it influenced my other writing. In a piece about math, I grudgingly stated the importance of adding and its place in journalism.

Timeliness:  This section will show when I was on time for a post, or blogged when I wasn’t asked to.

Ah timeliness, my old friend. With the semester coming to a close and professors demanding papers, quizzes, projects and intestines (okay not intestines but it feels like that sometimes) I thought that I wouldn’t have time to do extra blogposts, but I found the time! I wrote about fake news and how it’s hard to know who we can trust in the media. The topic is important to me because of our current political climate, and I hope I created a situation that will probe the mind of the reader. In another post, I paid a tribute to journalism, by explaining how it has helped my other writing, and taught me to be a better writer, even if I’m not writing up an article. I think that these are some of my best extra posts yet.

Coverage: Proving that I kept up with the required blog postings.

I believe that Portfolio 3 is the best example of how I’ve done this, as it is a culmination of all of my work the past quarter. I think newsroom math is another good example because it is a post that snuck up on me at the end of the semester and I could have missed, but I was still able to get it in on time.

Conclusion: This class has been an amazing learning experience for me about the world’s most prevalent form of writing, that I hadn’t been truly exposed to until now. I appreciate and look at journalism in a way that I have never before, and respect the intricacies of the craft when I see it. I will hopefully be able to take the tools I’ve gained from this class and carry them into the future. I’ve just submitted my first article to the Setonian to be published with the December issue, and I wouldn’t have done that without the help of this class. So here’s to you, journalism.

Post navigation