Different News Narratives

Seeing as I still struggle with the Inverted Pyramid Structure, this chapter has been a God-send. It’s all about how to avoid said structure with others that will still be just as correct, although not as preferred–something I can live with.

Using my novel-writing skills can actually be useful, as it turns out. using chronology is acceptable so long as the ‘characters’ encounter complications along the way that are both interesting to the story and news-worthy. Having an outline is helpful for this type, which is what I would like to do since outlining is my forte. Chronology is most accepted for “a detailed sequence of events in a story.” (222) Basically, to give all the details and how they match up.

Or, use a News Narrative. If nothing else, it’s a hybrid of Chronology and Inverted. Have the timeliness of the first without too much pressure, yet the hard-hitting news of the second without too heavy of a newsworthy story.

The Focus Structure is useful as well. It follows one person as a representative of the larger group, which to me seems a little sketchy. If anything journalism should be about getting all angles of a story, not just one as this suggests. These stories tend to be more abstract and aimed towards the reader, giving human-interest meaning to a story. The story usually has a theme to get across, and to me doesn’t sound too much like journalism as it does happening to use a real-life example in one of my creative writing or lit classes.

Source: NR

4 thoughts on “Different News Narratives”

1. The Inverted Pyramid is sometimes a hard concept to grasp, but I agree with you that now knowing that there are other acceptable structures, it makes reporting a bit easier. But you still have to know when to use which type.