2018
10.22

RWAL 9 (1 of 2)

In RWAL 9 (1 of 2) one of the theories I read about that is most familiar to me was the formalism and new criticism theories. In the past I have always looked at these elements of literature throughout my academic career but I never knew they could defined into theories. Also, I think I am most familiar with these theories because of how simple how. These are the elements that are “relate to the whole”. From a very early age we are taught to look at the tone, characters, etc. but in college we tend to focus more on close reading skills, so really these theories I have been practicing for some time without ever realizing it.

One theory that I am currently unfamiliar with is the marxist criticism theory. This theory does involve class struggle and society but it also involves an economic means within literature. When I have close read in the past I have looked at things such as class struggle and society but I never compared that to the economic standpoints within the text. Also, the text mentions Marxist critiques tend to have a language of political analysis, this is another area I have not all that familiar with.

Source: RWAL 9 (1 of 2)

2 comments so far

Add Your Comment
  1. Steve, I chose the exact same theories for what I was most and least familiar with. The elements of literature that we learn to analyze in middle school and high school translate into close reading in college, so as a culture we engage with formalism and new criticism quite a bit. Marxist criticism is interesting since it has a particular focus on class struggle. I think we often mention these themes during our analysis based on formalism and new criticism, but looking at literature through a Marxist lens would ensure we pay more attention to these particular themes.

2. Like Paige, I chose the same theories. The pattern I’m seeing is that everyone is familiar with formalism while many people struggle with Marxist theory. Class struggle is an interesting technique, and I think it would be interesting if we all started to explore that more seeing as no one is comfortable with it.