2019
10.17

This marks the second portfolio for the newswriting course as editor in chief. This time around the portfolio goes more in depth with most of the posts that were assigned. The second portfolio is a demonstration of my ability to connect to other sources outside of the assigned web blogs. Sections such as intertextuality have improved since the last blog post while all most go into depth I tried to switch my posts up and talk about issues I experienced as an editor of the Setonian at Seton Hill University.

Depth: The post I went into the most detail with is my post on Eoj Ch7. In chapter seven I briefly stated how the authors talk about the newspaper being the first form of social media. I then made the connection that even though today we have several social media platforms, analog vs digital is very crucial. I went into detail about the benefits of printing a physical copy. I gave an example of a college class and that students were more likely to grasp concepts from a physical book rather then the online version. I also stated some people prefer digital but it is easier to skim.

Another post I feel fits into the depth category is my post on Eoj Ch3. For this post, I talked about how in chapter three, the authors state who journalists really work for. I went into detail about the importance of working for citizens and also who I work for being editor of the Setonian and that is the Seton Hill community.

My post on Eoj Ch4 fits into depth as well. In chapter four I stated how they talk about CNN and Fox making reporting mistakes. I went into detail about a linked article I embedded within the blog post. I talked about how journalists both at the professional and rookie levels will make mistakes. I also went into detail about the importance of making those corrections public. I also stated that is it solely up to the publication to own up to those mistakes and to not make the major ones such as the New York Times article I linked.

Riskiness: The post where I felt I put the most risk was my post on Eoj Ch6. I talked about how in chapter six, early journalists did investigative journalism. I then linked an article I wrote in 2018 about the death of Mac Miller which shows proof that even with a newsworthy topic that has been national news that I was still able to do my own investigating to tie into a more narrow topic which is overdoses in Westmoreland County. For this post was a stretch trying to make the connection to my own work.

Another post where I took a risk was my post on Eoj Ch7. For this post, I talked about how in chapter seven they compared the first newspaper to the first social media. I then took a risk by making a connection to analog vs digital. I made a stretch and went into detail about the pros and cons of print vs online news articles. I then stated how for being editor in chief of the Setonian, a physical proof is easier to mark up then a google doc sheet because you have it in your hands. I tied this all together because newspaper in print form can still get people talking today on social media, so therefore it all comes full circle.

Another post I took a risk on was the links for workshop post. I chose the newswriting checklist and made a connection the final project I am doing for my independent study in SEL 160 Newswriting course. For me this was risky because I did not just talk about why I chose the newswriting checklist link. Instead I stated how I could use the checklist as a reference for my project, which is a manual for procedures and operations of the Setonian.

Intertextuality:  One of my post that relates to an outside source is my post on Eoj Ch8. For this post, I talked about how journalists should either stick to important news or the fun news. I simply stated that journalists can do both but publications offer a variety of topics to please readers along with a screenshot of a poll from the Tribune Review to show how publications engage with readers/viewers to make the connection more strong and fun. I also linked an article from another web blog to show how emotions can make news exciting.

Another post where I connected the readings and my experiences to an outside source is my post on Eoj Ch6. In this blog post, I talked about how early journalists did investigative journalism. I also made a stretch to connect it with an article I wrote for the Setonian. I wrote about the death of Mac Miller and tied it to overdoses in the United States and Westmoreland County. For this I had to do my own investigative journalism by looking up public records which are shown in the linked article.

My post on Eoj Ch5 suits this category well. Chapter five talked a lot about journalists keeping independence from the stories they cover. I linked and made a connection to Dr. Jerz Web Blog on the Invisible Observer. I simply stated that journalist aren’t doing their job if they don’t keep themselves out of the story which is exactly what his web blog talks about.

Another post that fits this category well is my post on Eoj Ch4. Chapter four briefly talked about publications such as CNN and Fox making mistakes while reporting. I linked to an article from the New York Times that made a huge mistake about ethnicity. I then went into detail to make the connection from the New York Times and the readings to state that journalists both at the professional level and college level will make mistakes but the bigger mistakes should be caught before it is published.

Discussion: My post on Eoj Ch6 did not spark any discussion but I feel it is worth talking about. Chapter six talks about investigative journalism. My post made a connection to an article I wrote and shows how I did my own investigative journalism and tied to a topic that was already national news. I feel this is worth discussing because I feel for that article I wrote, I was able to investigate deeper into a an article that was published by major news publications.

Another post I feel is worth discussion is my post on Eoj Ch3. Chapter three talks about who journalists actually work for. I feel as editor in the SEL 160 newswriting course that this would be a great topic to discuss with the entire class. For example, I would ask who do they work for. The students in newswriting act as staff writers and I am their editor.

Another post I could see fitting in this category is my post on links for workshops. I chose to focus on the newswriting checklist link on the original blog post assignment. I made a connection in my post and stated how this is similar to my final project, a manual for the Setonian, for my independent study in SEL 160 Newswriting. I think this post would be a great place to reference when I ask my staff, the Setonian, to beta test. They can see how the newswriting checklist was set up and then go through my manual, I think this will spark conversation that will later benefit the Setonian.

Timeliness: For this category, all of my posts were past the deadline except for one post. The only post that was published in a timely manner was my post on Eoj ch8. This post was about how journalists can make news fun or stick to the important topics. I stated that it can be both but publications offer a variety of topics and I also linked a poll that shows the Tribune Review and how they engage with viewers/readers. This post was published on the exact date it was due.

Coverage: Most of my blog posts, I feel I made a good effort to make connections to the assigned readings/articles. For my post on active and passive verbs, this was a post where I got it done just get it out of the way. I feel I could have gone into detail but I have seen active and passive verbs quite frequently throughout my academic career, but I could have made a connection to how I use them in journalism for the Setonian.

Another post that I published, was my post on an example of student journalism. I made an effort for this post but it doesn’t really fit into any other category. For this post I talked about how a student took advantage of a routine event that turned into breaking news. I gave examples from the articles to state how this student practiced ethical journalism.

My post on verify or duck is a post I feel I did put thought into but I did not make any outside connections or go into great depth. Therefor it fits into this category of coverage best. I talked about the importance of fact checking and I also gave an example of when to verify and fact check.

Conclusion

For this second portfolio I feel I have finally grown in the area of intertextuality. I feel this category is most crucial because it shows how I can make connections to outside sources to better learn from the material. Also, coverage this time around had more blog posts than usual. I would not say this was a weakness or strength but because these posts show effort but they did not fit into any other category. My weakness for this portfolio seems to be timeliness, even though I put thought and effort into each post, only one was published on the exact date it was due. For next time, I think planning out my post according with the due dates will be crucial will show my strength as a blogger.

No Comment.

Add Your Comment